Alternating Weekends - Visitation Schedule Examples

The alternating weekends schedule

The alternating weekends residential schedule has your child living with one parent and visiting the other parent every other weekend.


This is the alternating weekends schedule in the calendar.


This schedule gives one parent 80% of the time with the children and the other parent 20%.

Custody X Change is software that creates custody and visitation schedules and professional parenting plan documents.

Make Your Alternating Weekends Schedule Now

Examples of alternating weekends schedules

There are many ways to modify the alternating weekends schedule so it works better for your family. Here are some example schedules.


This schedule has exchange times on Friday night at 7:00 and on Monday afternoon at 12:00. You can pick any exchange times for the weekend visits.


This schedule moves the days of the weekend visit to Saturday afternoon through Tuesday morning. You can have the weekend start and stop whenever you want.


This schedule includes a Wednesday afternoon visit with the dad on the weeks when he doesn't have the weekend, and it shows the weekend going from Thursday to Sunday. You can include midweek visits as frequently as you want.


This schedule includes an Thursday overnight visit to mom on the weeks when she doesn't have the weekend. Because of the overnight visit, the weekend visits are a little shorter. You can include overnight visits as frequently as you want.


This schedule includes 3rd party time when neither parent has the child. If you show 3rd party time it can change the parenting time percentages.


While you look at different ideas for your schedule, you can use a visitation timeshare calculator to show you the amount of time each parent has with the child. This can help you make a schedule that both parents support.

Pros and Cons of an alternating weekends schedule

Pros:

  • The schedule works well for a child who needs to have one home during the week and a very consistent schedule.
  • There are limited exchanges so it works if the parents live far apart from each other.
  • The schedule works well for busy employment schedules or for parents who travel frequently.
  • The schedule can work around employment schedules that change every week.
  • The schedule can work for a higher conflict situation.

Cons:

  • The child goes a long time without seeing one parent.
  • There may be conflict over the schedule because one parent has so much more time with the child then the other parent.
  • The parent who has the child on the weekends misses out on the weekday routine with the child.
  • The parent who has the child on the weekends may not be as involved in the child's schoolwork or other activities.
  • This schedule may conflict with the child's weekend sporting events or other activities.

Custody X Change is software that creates custody and visitation schedules and professional parenting plan documents.

Make Your Schedule

Custody X Change is software that creates custody and visitation schedules and professional parenting plan documents.

Make Your Alternating Weekends Schedule Now