4-3 Visitation Schedule Examples

The 4-3 schedule

The 4-3 schedule is a residential schedule where your child spends four days of the week with one parent and the other three days with the other parent.


Here is the 4-3 schedule in the calendar.


The 4-3 schedule gives one parent 60% of the time with the child and the other parent 40%.

Depending on what day you start the schedule you may have a 3-4 schedule. This is a variation of the same one week repeating schedule.

Custody X Change is software that creates custody schedules and professional parenting plan documents.

Make Your 4-3 Schedule Now

4-3 sample schedules

You can modify the basic 4-3 schedule so it works better for you. Here are some sample 4-3 schedules.


This 4-3 schedule starts on Sunday and has exchange times at 8:30 am. You can pick any day for the schedule to start and any time for the exchange times.


This 4-3 schedule starts on Friday and has exchange times at 12:00 pm. If you start the schedule on Tuesday it is a 3-4 schedule.


This 4-3 schedule shows when the child is in school or daycare and not with either parent. Including 3rd party time changes the timeshare percentage from 60/40 to almost 50/50.


As you make your 4-3 schedule, a visitation timeshare calculator can show you the exact amount of time each parent has with the child. This helps you as you customize your schedule so you still have the parenting time split that you want.

Pros and Cons of a 4-3 schedule

Pros:

  • Each parent is able to spend time with the child during the week.
  • 4-3 schedules have consistent and simple one week rotations so they are easy to keep organized.
  • The schedule allows for a lot of structure and routine because it is so consistent.
  • The child doesn't go for long periods of time without seeing either parent.
  • 4-3 schedules are shared parenting schedules so both parents have time when they provide daily caretaking for the child.
  • 4-3 schedules can work very well with different types of work schedules.
  • There are only two exchanges and you can usually plan these around school or daycare.
  • Parents both have a lot of time with the child so there may be less fighting over the schedule.

Cons:

  • Children may have a hard time moving from home to home each week.
  • Parents must both live fairly close to each other and the child's school and other activities.
  • Parents must be able to communicate well about what is going on with the child's school, homework and other activities.

Custody X Change is software that creates custody schedules and professional parenting plan documents.

Make Your Schedule

Custody X Change is software that creates custody schedules and professional parenting plan documents.

Make Your 4-3 Schedule Now