10/4 Child Custody Schedules and Visitation Options

A 10/4 schedule is a parenting time arrangement that gives one parent a total of 10 days with the child and the other a total of four days in a repeating two-week schedule.

One parent has approximately 70 percent of parenting time and is often referred to as the custodial or residential parent. The other parent has the remaining 30 percent and is called the noncustodial or nonresidential parent.

A parent's days don't have to be in a row. They can be broken up over the two-week period however parents agree.

Custody X Change is software that creates custody and visitation schedules and professional parenting plan documents.

Make My 10/4 Schedule Now

Common 10/4 schedules

You can use these common 10/4 schedules as-is or customize them to meet your family's unique needs. (See more on customizing below.)

Every weekend

The simplest 10/4 arrangement is the every weekend schedule. The child lives with the custodial parent during the week (five days), and then spends every weekend (two days) with the noncustodial parent.

5-2 schedule

The 5-2 schedule is similar to the every weekend schedule, except it doesn't follow a Monday–Friday format. Parents can choose the five-day and two-day time periods that work best for their situation.

This arrangement is a good option when the noncustodial parent doesn't have a Monday–Friday work schedule.

10-4 schedule

In the 10-4 schedule, the child spends 10 days with the custodial parent, then four days with the other.

Due to the infrequent exchanges, this schedule is a good option when parents want to minimize their in-person interactions. It typically works best for older children and teenagers who can go for longer periods without seeing the noncustodial parent.

Customizing your 10/4 schedule

Consider these popular customizations to make sure your schedule meets your child's needs.

Add short visits for the noncustodial parent

Because the child lives primarily with one parent, some families add short daytime visits for the other parent. This ensures the child doesn't go too long without seeing them.

For example, families often add a weekly after-school visit to the every weekend schedule.

Add holidays, birthdays & special occasions

Most states require a holiday schedule in addition to the regular parenting time schedule. Even if it's not required, your schedule should include specific arrangements for holidays, birthdays and other special occasions your family celebrates.

For shared holidays, parents often alternate on a yearly basis — e.g., one parent might get Thanksgiving in odd-numbered years, while the other gets it in even-numbered years.

You can use this arrangement, or you can create custom schedules for specific holidays. For example, you might want to split Thanksgiving weekend every year instead of alternating yearly.

Include age-based schedule changes

As your child grows up, you'll likely need to adapt your custody arrangements for their changing needs and as your family's situation evolves. Transition easily and avoid conflict by including custom provisions for schedule changes in your parenting plan.

For example, when a teenager gets their driver's license and can transport themselves between parents' homes, you might want to add more visits for the noncustodial parent.

If you already know the day you want the schedule to change, set it now in your Custody X Change calendar. You can create multiple parenting schedules and set when each takes effect. The information automatically appears in your parenting plan.

The easiest way to make a 10/4 schedule

There's a lot to think about when you build a parenting time schedule. You'll want it to give the right amount of time to each parent and work for years to come.

The Custody X Change app makes it easy.

To make any of the schedules above, just follow the steps to make a common custody schedule.

Turn to Custody X Change to make a custody schedule quickly and affordably. You'll get a written schedule and a visual calendar that meet your family's needs, as well as court standards.

Custody X Change is software that creates custody and visitation schedules and professional parenting plan documents.

Make My 10/4 Schedule Now

Custody X Change is software that creates custody and visitation schedules and professional parenting plan documents.

Make My Schedule
x

Custody X Change is software that creates custody and visitation schedules and professional parenting plan documents.

Make My 10/4 Schedule Now

No thanks, I don't need a parenting plan