5-2 Visitation Schedule Examples

The 5-2 residential schedule has your child living 5 days with one parent and 2 days with the other parent.


Here's the 5-2 schedule in the calendar.


The 5-2 schedule can also be a 2-5 schedule depending on what day the schedule starts. These are the same one week repeating schedules and they give one parent about 70% of the time with the child and the other parent about 30%.

Custody X Change is software that creates custody and visitation schedules and professional parenting plan documents.

Make Your 5-2 Schedule Now

Sample 5-2 schedules

Customizing your 5-2 schedule will help you get the best schedule for your situation. Here are some sample 5-2 schedules.


Here's a schedule that starts on Saturday where the 2 day visit is from Thursday at 9:00 am to Saturday at 9:00 am. You can pick any day to start your schedule so the 2 day visit is when you want. If you start this schedule on Thursday it's a 2-5 schedule.


Here's a schedule that starts on Thursday where the 2 day visit goes from 3:00 pm on Tuesday to 7:00 pm on Thursday. You can pick any times for the exchanges. If you start this schedule on Tuesday it's a 2-5 schedule.


Here's a schedule where there is an afternoon visit on Sunday in addition to the 2 day visit from Wednesday to Friday. You can have extra visits on any day and you can have them every week, every other week, or however often you want.


Here's a schedule where the 2 day visit is a little shorter and there is another overnight visit during the week. You can add extra overnight visits weekly, every other week, or however often you want.


Here's a schedule that includes 3rd party time to show when the child isn't with either parent. Marking 3rd party time may change each parent's timeshare percentage.


It can be useful to use a visitation timeshare calculator as you look at options for your schedule so you can see the amount of time each parent has with the children. This can help you make a schedule with the parenting time that you want.

Pros and Cons of 5-2 schedules

Pros:

  • The schedule is consistent, simple, and easy to remember.
  • Children who need a home base and consistency do well with this schedule.
  • Parents don't have to live close to each other.
  • The schedule works very well with different types of work schedules.
  • Your child spends time with both parents during the week.
  • There aren't long periods of time where the child doesn't get to see a parent.
  • Each parent can provide daily caretaking to the child.
  • You can limit the exchanges and these can work around the child's school or childcare schedule.
  • The schedule can work for a higher conflict situation.

Cons:

  • The parent with less time may be unhappy with the schedule and this can lead to more conflict.
  • One parent may have the child every weekend.
  • If there are midweek exchanges, the parents must communicate with each other about the child's homework and other activities.
  • If there are midweek exchanges, the parents must both live within a reasonable distance from the child's school.

Custody X Change is software that creates custody and visitation schedules and professional parenting plan documents.

Make Your Schedule

Custody X Change is software that creates custody and visitation schedules and professional parenting plan documents.

Make Your 5-2 Schedule Now