70/30 Custody and Visitation Schedule Examples

70/30 schedule examples

Here are some common residential schedules where one parent has 70% of the time with the child and the other parent has 30% of the time.

Custody X Change is software that creates custody and visitation schedules and professional parenting plan documents.

Use the Free Download

The every weekend schedule has the child living with one parent during the week and the other parent on the weekends.


The 5-2 schedule has the child living with one parent for 5 days and the other parent for 2 days.


The every 3rd week schedule has the child living with one parent for 2 weeks and the other parent for 1 week.


The every 3rd day schedule has the child living with one parent for 2 days and the other parent for 1 day.

You can customize any of these schedules by changing visitation days, changing exchange times, adding other visits, etc.

As you make your schedule you can use a visitation timeshare calculator so you know how much parenting time each parent has.

Deciding if a 70/30 schedule works for you

There are many factors to consider when deciding on a custody schedule that will work best for your child. You want your schedule to allow your child to thrive and also maintain and build a relationship with both parents.

70/30 schedules work best when:

  • Your child does better with one consistent home base
  • Parents don't live very close to each other
  • One parent has a very busy work schedule or travels frequently
  • Both parents want to be involved with the child but a 50/50 or 60/40 schedule doesn't work for the familiy situation
  • Both parents agree on a 70/30 schedule they think is best for the child

The biggest drawback of the 70/30 schedule is that one parent has significantly more time with the child then the other parent. If a 70/30 schedule seems to be the best one for your child but you want more equal parenting time, you can use the holiday schedule or a summer break schedule to give more time to the other parent.

You can also add midweek or overnight visits to the parent with less time in your 70/30 schedule. This will change the parenting time percentages and may help both parents feel more involved in caring for the child.

The parent who has 30% of the time should make extra efforts to stay in touch with the child through phone calls, texting, facetime, online chatting, etc. This can help you feel part of the child's life even if your child is spending more time living with the other parent.

If you want your schedule to show the quality time that each parent has with the children, you can include 3rd party time. 3rd party time is when neither parent has the child--like when the child is in daycare or in school. 3rd party time in the schedule may affect the parenting timeshare percentages.

Custody X Change is software that makes it easy to document your situation and stay organized.

Free Download
No credit card required

Custody X Change is software that creates custody and visitation schedules and professional parenting plan documents.

Use the Free Download