Comparing 50/50 Custody and 70/30 Custody: Which is Better?

Learning about all the different types of child custody can be very overwhelming and confusing.  We are going to teach you about two different types of physical custody and how to know if either of them will work for you.

Custody X Change is software that creates professional parenting plan documents and parenting schedules.

Make Your Schedule and Plan Now

50/50 Joint Physical Custody

50/50 joint physical custody means your child will spend half of their time with you and half with the other parent.  Both parents are equally responsible for the physical upbringing of their child. There are many 50/50 child custody schedule examples for you to choose from.  The custody schedule below is an example of the alternating weeks schedule.

This type of custody is becoming more and more popular.  Many parents, mediators, and judges believe it is in the best interest of the child to spend equal time with both parents.  If the situation allows, they believe it is far better than one parent having the majority of custody and the other parent only getting a few “visits” a month.

There are many considerations you need to make before choosing this schedule.  Here are some questions to get you started:

  • Are you and the other parent able to put behind you any hard feelings and work together in a good co-parenting relationship?
  • Do both parents live in close proximity to each other, your child’s school and the activities they are involved in?
  • Can you easily exchange your child back and forth?
  • Do both parents have a safe home environment?
  • Are there any past issues with a parent that indicate they are unable to share joint physical custody?

70/30 Physical Custody

70/30 physical custody mean your child spends 70% of their time with one parent and 30% with the other.  The parent with 70% custody may be assigned sole physical custody meaning they are solely responsible for the physical upbringing of the child.  Or both parents could be assigned joint physical custody meaning they both are responsible for the physical upbringing.  However, one parent only has the child 30% of the time.  This can be determined by the court or parents.

There are many 70/30 child custody schedule examples for you to choose from. The following schedule is is an Every Weekend 70/30 Custody Schedule Example.

There are many reasons why 70/30 physical custody may be awarded:

  • Your child will do better spending more time with one parent and having one “home base.”
  • One parent may have a difficult school or work schedule that does not allow them to bear the responsibility of having the child more.
  • Previous history of poor behavior or decision making by a parent.

Conclusion:

Both 50/50 and 70/30 custody are great choices depending on your unique situation.  Some parents want to share their child equally and some parents know their child will do best spending more time with one parent.

I recommend that you do all the research you can about the pros and cons of each schedule, learn how they work for others, and decide what will work best for your child.

Custody X Change is software that creates professional parenting plan documents and parenting schedules.

Make Your Schedule and Plan Now

Custody X Change is software that creates professional parenting plan documents and parenting schedules.

Make Your Plan